Sunday, January 18, 2009

Pondering Following Jesus

Oh, how I love all you've revealed; I reverently ponder it all the day long. Your commands give me an edge on my enemies; they never become obsolete. I've even become smarter than my teachers since I've pondered and absorbed your counsel. I've become wiser than the wise old sages simply by doing what you tell me. Psalms 119:97-100 (The Message Bible)


"Trust your own vision as you follow the Lord. ... Don't try to plan your life, but follow Jesus and you will find yourself being moved along by God. ... Keep your humility intact, and keep your mind on God. He will use people to assist the vision, but He is the source. ... Open your heart and let Jesus speak through you. Don't try to build up great plans for yourself; He has plans you cannot imagine." They were the last words of council my dad gave me before he went to be with the Lord a few years ago.

Jesus beckons us to follow Him. Much of the time it is not clear to us where He is going or what He is doing. We may have a general idea, but the details are often very unclear or even confusing. Consider how Joseph must have felt looking frantically for lodging that evening in Bethlehem. As Mary’s labor pains intensified, I can imagine Joseph screaming at God, “Hey, where are you? Don’t you know this is an emergency? Where is the plan?” That stressful hour for Joseph and Mary was part of God's perfect plan.
Maybe you are in a stressful hour, trying to find God's perfect plan. Maybe you are in the middle of it and don't recognize it. God is always at work even in the mundane affairs of life. His plans are usually hidden, disguised as ordinary circumstances. Ponder that. – David


Jesus said: I tell you the truth, unless a kernel of wheat is planted in the soil and dies, it remains alone. But its death will produce many new kernels—a plentiful harvest of new lives. Those who love their life in this world will lose it. Those who care nothing for their life in this world will keep it for eternity. Anyone who wants to be my disciple must follow me... John 12:24-26 (NLT)

1 comment:

DeeGee49 said...

Very good and for me, very timely.
Thanks for hearing and speaking.